Candy apples are whole apples covered in a sugar candy coating. They are a common treat at fall festivals, such as Halloween or Thanksgiving. This recipe is beginner friendly and will show you how to make candy apples.
- 3 small apples (any variety)
- 3/4 cup white granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/8 teaspoon red food coloring
- Wash and dry the apples.
- Combine the sugar and water.
- Add red food coloring.
- Boil the mixture until it reaches around 150 degrees Celsius. If you don’t have a candy thermometer, you can check this by dropping a spoonful of the mixture into cold water. It should harden immediately.
- Bring the mixture to a simmer and wait for the bubbles to disappear.
- Carefully tilt the pan to one side and then quickly dip the apples. This would be easier if you insert lollipop sticks or Popsicle sticks into the apples.
- Enjoy your apples!