How to Make Nian Gao(rice cake)
Feb1 will be Chinese New Year for 2022, It’s the year of the Tiger. Let’s make one of the traditional Chinese New year desserts: Nian Gao!
Nian Gao, also known as “Nian Nian Gao”, is homophonic with “Nian Nian Gao”, which means that people’s work and living standards have improved year by year.
1) 1 package glutinous rice flour (400g), 3/4 cup sugar (150g), 1 tsp baking powder;
2) 2 extra large eggs, 1 7/8 cups milk (460g), 3.5 tbsp corn oil (50g), 5 tbsp condensed milk (100g);
3) 1.5 cups red bean paste (440g)
1. Put all ingredients of Ingredient 1 into a large bowl and mix well. Take another small basin, break up two eggs, add milk and corn oil successively and mix well. Then pour it into a large bowl containing Ingredient 1, stir well with a spoon and crush the powdered particles, then add in condensed milk and red bean paste and mix well.
2. Take a 22×32 cm rectangular glass baking pan, coat with a little corn oil or spray a thin layer of PAM Cooking Spray, and pour the mixed rice cake mixture into the glass baking pan.
3. Put the baking pan into the oven preheated to 340F/170C, bake for 35 minutes, switch to Broil High and bake for another 1.5~2 minutes, until the surface is evenly colored.
4. After baking the rice cake, let it cool for 10 minutes, cover it with plastic wrap, and let it cool overnight. The next day when the rice cake is taken out, the bottom will be a little sticky, use a wooden spoon to pry the bottom off. Cut it into cubes with scissors in a glass baking pan, put it in a mooncake box, and store it at room temperature for two days. The key to the moist taste of the rice cake is to cover it with plastic wrap and let it cool, so that the surface and bottom of the rice cake will not dry and hard, and keep it soft and delicious.